History

 

How it all began.....

 

Extract from Sedfield Parish Magazine, February 1919 WALTHAM CHASE HUT.

At the last Quarterly Meeting of the Parochial Church Council ( December 16th 1918) it was decided that steps should be taken to find the views of the parishoners living in the Chase as to the desiability of establishing a Hut there for services and social meetings. On January the 15th, after due notice, a Meeting was held in Mr and Mrs Davies' studio; and a letter from the Vicar war read expressing his keen interest in the project, and suggesting that the building might be regarded as a thank-offering for the preservation of our own country from the devastation of war. After discussion it was resolved that the proposal should be heartily apporoved, and that the site of the Hut should be near the centre of the Shedfield portion of the Chase, and a committee was appointed to consider the ways and means, consisting of the Rev. W. M. McWatters, Sergt. Davies, Messrs A Knight, T Daysh, Pocock, and Rooke, and Mrs Davies, Mrs Giddins and Sister Bareham, which will in due course report to the Council. Such a building should be of real value as an auxiliary to the Church and the Schools, etc, in an outlying part of the Parish, and we hope there will be a general readiness to help in raising the necessary funds.

 

Extract from Shedfield Parish Magazine, April 1919 WALTHAM CHASE CHURCH HUT. -

 

We have to record this month most satisfactory progress with the Fund, and have to offer our thanks to those who have shewed such practical interest in the work: - Previously received, 71.10s.9d.; Mrs. Franklyn, 50: Proceeds of Rummage Sale, April 10th, per Sister Bareham, 7.2s.; proceeds of waste paper and other material collected,pre the Rev. W. E. Medlicott, 5.0s.2d.; Mr. and Mrs. Giddins and family, 8; Mrs. William Tier (thank-offering), 10s.; Mr. A. Chalk, 10s.; Mr. Pocock, 5s.; Mrs. Daysh, 10s.; proceeds of the C.E.M.S. Social on January 20th, 3.10s.10d.; Mrs. Glasgow, 5; Miss Douglas (formerly of Shedfield Grange) 1; Collections in Lent, 15s.10d.; and the following Collecting boxes; - Anonymous, 6s.; Anonymous, 13s.6d.; Bim Ashley, 4s.; Miss Chalk, 10s.; Mrs. Chequer, 7s.; Mrs. F.G. Chequer, 1s. 5d.; Miss Childs, 12s. 7d.; Mrs. Daysh, 1s. 2d.; Lena Daysh, 1s. 2d.; Mrs. Davies (Curdridge), 2s. 4d.; Mrs. Davies (The Studio, Waltham Chase) and Mrs. Nunn, 4. 4s. 10d.; Mrs. Early, 3s.; Cyril Edwards, 5s.; Miss Ford, 2s.; Mrs. House 4s.; Mr. A. Knight, 11s. 10d.; Mr. James Knight, 2s. 6d.; King's Messengers, 7s. 3d.; Lady Phillimore, 14s. 3d.; Mrs. Pritchard, 1s.; Mrs. Rooke, 2. 8s. 5d.; Shirrell House, 1. 4s.; Mrs. Stacey, 3s. 7d.; Shedfield Cottage, 7s.; Mrs. A. Titheridge, 1s. 4d.: Lent Collections, payment for books, 1s. 10d.; in all, 14. 3s. 10d.

Total, 162. 18s. 5d.

Extract believed to be from The Hampshire Chronicle, Noevmber 1919

Chase Hut 1919 

Photograph by kind permission of Betty Daysh

THE CHASE HUT

On Wednesday, the 19th ( 1919) the Chase Hut was opened, an important step in the social and religious welfare of the inhabitants of this district. It will be free and open to all, men and women alike, for social purposes and recreation on weekdays, and on Sundays for religious services, to be held under the direction of the Vicar, assisted at time by other clergy and laity. 

The Hut will be in charge of Capt. Poulton, a Church Army Officer, who is a trained Evangelist, whio will manage the social work and also conduct services. When the programme of work for the winter is settled, further information will be given. The Hut, with its Sanctuary and Altar, was dedicated by the Ven. the Archdeacon of Winchester, and the addresses were given by him and the Vicar and the Rev. W. E. Medlicott.

 

The Altar was the gift of Mrs. Jeffery, in memory of her husband, Lieut. Edward Jeffery, who was killed in France. The Cross and pair of Candlesticks, nicely carved in oak, were presented by Mr. and Mrs. Phillimore, in memory of their son, Lieut. Matthew Arden Phillimore, who also fell in the War. The Altar Vessels were the kind gift of Mrs. Franklyn, the Altar Cloth was given by the Misses Medlicott, and the Altar Desk by Miss Chalk.

W.E.M.

Chase hut and bungalow By kind permission of Betty Daysh

Picture of hall showing Bungalow Donated by the Rev Medlicott and used for the Caretaker

  A quote from Betty Daysh, 23rd October 2012 .....

 

 The ground the Hall sits on was originally purchased from Chase Farm as it was then, Betty remembers her Dad grumbling that they paid too much for it. (editor note; no change then and now)

 

The Hut was an old American ARMY HUT from the Netley Hospital . It was brought from Netley by train to Bishops Waltham then by horse and wagon.


 The land known as Waltham Chase was probably included in the original tenth-century grant to the bishopric, but the Chase is only specifically mentioned at the time of its acquisition by the Lord Treasurer in the sixteenth century, and the subsequent grant to the earl of Wiltshire and regrant to Bishop White. (fn. 36) It stretched away to the south and east of the park, and was practically an outlying portion of the Forest of Bere. Originally the hunting-ground of the bishops, the chase became famous in the eighteenth century as the haunt of a gang of deer-stealers, who were known from their blackened faces as 'The Waltham Blacks.' It was in consequence of their doings, and at the instigation of Bishop Trimnell, that the Black Act of George I was passed in 1722, though apparently it was never enforced. Some twenty years later, Bishop Hoadly, on being asked to re-stock the chase with deer, refused, saying that it 'had done mischief enough already.' Waltham Chase was inclosed in 1870, (fn. 37) since when the timber has been entirely cut down, (fn. 38) though the name forest still clings to the locality.